Knife Making Workshop - Hanoi Tour 12/2022 - Things to do in Hanoi
CHƯƠNG TRÌNH CHI TIẾT
Knife Making Workshop
1 - 5 guests
⏳2 - 2.5h
The ancient art of knife making in the picturesque Kien Hung Commune in Ha Dong Town. Explore this well-known village, Da Sy, which has earned prestige in Vietnam for its contribution to this amazing form of craftsmanship.
Find out about the history of the forging profession in Hanoi, and go back several hundred years as you learn ancient techniques that have been passed down from generation to generation of artisans. Study with a famous blacksmith who comes from a long line of illustrious craftsmen, and learn how this area was culturally and historically significant during the Vietnam War.
Watch demonstrations of forging and then make your own knife as a souvenir of your time in delightful Da Sy Village.
What To Expect
Nestled in Kien Hung Commune of Hanoi, Da Sy, a small but charming village is notable for its long-standing history of blacksmithing. Historically, Da Sy rose to prominence as a blacksmith craft village after two blacksmiths named Nguyen Thuat and Nguyen Thuan from a nearby province taught the locals a highly advanced form of forging. Ever since Da Sy has been known prominently for forging steel weapons for the nation's military during periods of war.
Although the village’s “golden age” has passed, local craftsmen are keeping the traditional blacksmithing craft alive by staying relevant with the times. Since peace returned to Vietnam years ago, the people of Da Sy resorted to making agriculture & household implements such as ploughs, rakes, machinery parts, scissors & kitchen knives.
The work of forging is labor intensive involving many steps, such as drafting and templating shapes, consistently maintaining fire in the furnace, hammering the steel into shape, tempering and finally shaping and sharpening the final product. However, its interesting to know every family has a secret 'recipe' in how they go about forging steel products. And just like a family dish recipe, the secret is passed down from generation to generation.
In this Knife Making workshop, you will visit a local resident, Mr Sinh and forge your own knife in his family workshop. During the process of crafting your own knife, you will notice that Mr Sinh uses a special secret liquid that is applied on the knife that make it unique - what that liquid is, we'll leave it for you to figure.
- All equipment, tools and materials necessary for the workshopKnife to take home with you
- English speaking guide
- Light refreshments
- Mask and eye protection accessories
Not Inclusive of
- Pick-up and drop-off service within Hanoi (can be included at additional cost)
- Other personal expenses
- Pick-up location: Exact pick-up location address along with map direction will be sent to your email instantly after booking
- Be at the pick up location at the tour start time
- You also have the option to be picked up. Simply select this option from the add-on section
- You do not need previous blacksmith experience
- Safety: There will be certain parts of the workshop which will strictly be handled by the instructor only - guests are required to abide by the safety measures put in place
- Dress Code: Long sleeves, sun glasses and covered shoes are recommended. Dresses are not recommended for females
Đánh giá của khách hàng
My 20 year old son and I did this and loved it. They supply a translator who was great. The two blacksmiths were brilliant, correcting were necessary but teaching and showing. You are better to organise from the backstreet website than Expedia as Expedia has less options for example you only get steel handles on Expedia but have options for wooden on the backstreet site. I would have liked them to help us find somewhere to make a sheaf and will provide feedback to the company. This is back alley rough old skool forging. If you want anything more than that then this is not for you. If I go back to Hanoi I will make another knife.